Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 1: Tequila Rain & O'Leary's Pub

Indoors.

Hard to believe I'm still on Day 1 but I'll try my best to play catch-up on my Boston adventures. I caught up with my fellow seniors and we headed to Tequila Rain by Fenway for some free pool, dancing and food (greasy-but-good fare: egg rolls, nuggets, BBQ wings..). Unfortunately, the bowling line was out to Guam, but we still managed to make the best of it. I played pool for the first time (yes, I'm a virgin pool-player, get over it). After we couldn't stand the electronica and sticky, cocktail-stained dance floor anymore, we moved the party on over to O'Leary's Pub, a dive bar, for some drinks and conversation.



Family of Five (Guinness).

Guinness. That strong ale of choice that every true Irish is familiar with. It's also among the only beers I will drink (along with Presidentes and Sapporo). Hey, some like it dry. I did a little googling on Guinness and found out that it originated in Dublin. It's one of the most bestselling beer brands worldwide, and THE No. 1 beer in Ireland. Guinness is made with roasted barley, which contributes to its burnt flavor (Are we seeing a trend here? I enjoy oolong tea, barley tea and twig tea -- all rather, well, burnt). It's thick and heady because it is mixed with nitrogen (as opposed to carbon dioxide) when poured.



Bottoms up!

Unfortunately, the jazz band (complete with trumpeter) that was playing when we arrived quickly disbanded after their time slot was up. The lead singer welcomed us with a slurred greeting. The pub cleared out pretty early and we were one of two parties left. The bartender (bartendress?) explained how the authorities kick them out at 2 a.m. so they're resigned to close their doors then. Otherwise, they'd continue pumping tap into the wee hours. The barstools looked rather inviting and homely. I almost wanted to sidle up to the cherry black wood-flecked counter and chat with locals and Irish from Southie. On the TV monitor blinking above our heads, Japan was facing off Korea in the 2009 World Baseball Classic Game. I know next to nothing about major league baseball, but Japan won. Ganbarimas!



Tartan coats rock.

We stayed well past 1 a.m. dishing out the latest in our circle and reminiscing about our pasts and futures (doing what exactly, and with whom, who knows). Ah, to good times and good companions!


Ratings:
Tequila Rain: 3 out of 5 stars. It was free, so I can't complain much.
O'Leary's Pub: 4 out of 5 stars. Probably more if the band had continued playing...


Locations:
Tequila Rain
145 Ipswich St (at Lansdowne St)
Boston, MA 02215
617.859.0030
www.tequilarain.com

O'Leary's Pub
1010 Beacon St
Brookline, MA 02446
617.734.0049

No comments:

Post a Comment