Tuesday, April 21, 2009

(Do Not) Feed the Pigeons

Photo by sparker_rd.

Haven't we all been told not to feed the pigeons? Well, one lady from the Bay is paying no heed to that rule. Moved by the plight of abandoned pigeons, Elizabeth Young started a pigeon coop in her backyard.

"A pigeon," Young said, while holding Kizzie the pigeon in her well-pecked arms, "is no less worthy than any other animal. This may not be a magnificent animal, like a tiger, but it is an animal that wants to live and has a right to be treated with respect."

I'm not sure if I can agree with her rationale. As a hardened New Yorker, pigeons were always deemed a nuisance. They are often associated with terms like "rodents," "pests" and "disease carriers." And they're everywhere. When you cross the street, lounge on a park bench, dine alfresco on the sidewalk - there they are. Over the years, I resigned myself to sharing space with them. I've just learned to adjust.


Note: The picture above does not coincide with the actual story. I just thought it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment