Thursday, July 2, 2009

Astoria: Star Pizza

Star Pizza.

This entry originally took place on June 25.

I found myself wandering Astoria in search of a friend of a friend's house for a pre-screening of the human trafficking documentary Not For Sale. After pulling a bit of a corn maze trick and mistakenly transferring to the W train instead of the R train, we finally arrived at the right spot.

As always, I was hungry. Halfway during the documentary - which detailed the bleak plight of runaways, prostitutes and children sold as sex slaves - I heard a distinct growling noise. Embarrassed, I peeked furtively to my left and my right, but it wasn't coming from around me. Rather, it was FROM me. My hand dropped to my stomach, as if to reprimand the whining monster. The sound reminded me of pet hamsters running forever in circles, except it was occurring in my stomach. The light ramen lunch I had earlier didn't help either.


Pork-broccoli slice.

After the screening, we stopped by Star Pizza on Steinway. I scanned the rows of colorful pizza and settled on a plump pork-broccoli slice ($3.25). Three minutes later, I was chowing down on that sucker.


The Great Outdoors.

We took a seat on the outdoor patio chairs in the back where it was less crowded and we could escape the grueling 80 degree heat. This Italian restaurant seems to remain a local neighborhood joint and is unfettered by the masses residing outside the 718 area code.


Greenery.


The Sun Also Sets.

By the way, if you are located in the New York Metropolitan area, please support the grassroots efforts of Not For Sale by coming out to the documentary screening at Astoria Park on Friday, August 14. Help raise awareness of this real and imminent issue that is currently gripping the world. You can also join the Facebook campaign and learn more about the event.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. My slice was thick and juicy and thoroughly satisfying, without being too oily. The dairy did not settle too heavily in my stomach.

Location:
Star Pasta & Pizza Inc.
3151 Steinway St
Astoria, NY 11103
718.274.4250

No comments:

Post a Comment