Monday, May 31, 2010

Family Reunion at Angoletto's

Fried calamari.

Weddings bring together the whole family. And by whole, I mean all the grandparents, great-uncles, second aunt twice removed and a horde of extended cousins I didn't even know I had. The day after my cousin tied the knot a few weeks ago, we caught up with some of them at Angoletto Cafe in NHP.

We ordered true family-style: several appetizers and duplicates of three entrees to go around. I did the ordering. For appetizers: fried calamari and insalata caprese, or tomato and mozzarella with olive oil and basil.

Ordinarily, the fried factor would have me running to the other side of the room with images of boiling vats of oil stuck in my head. However, the fried calamari was fried to perfection - not overdone, not greasy, while still retaining the distinct squid flavor I love so much. It was so appetizing that I actually grabbed seconds.

Insalata Caprese.

The insalata caprese was also a good call, though the huge cuts of cheese might have scared off some of the lactose intolerant. Refreshing giant tomato capers accompanied the appetizer.

Entrees included Fusilli Primavera, Linguini with White Clam Sauce and Penne a la Vodka.

The fusilli came with an assortment of colorful vegetables - vine-ripened tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots and regular tomatoes. A light orange primavera sauce topped it off. It was neither too oily nor too tomato-drenched. Linguini with white clam sauce is what it sounds like - generous swirls of flat pasta adorned with baby clams and a light sauce that reminds you of the sea but doesn't reek of it (i.e. salt is kept in check).

My favorite of the three would have to be the Penne a la Vodka. Penne cooked aldente, or slightly chewy, gives the pasta a nice hearty bite. And buttery vodka sauce is phenomenal.

Frothy head.

Nothing like an afternoon cappuccino to rev up my energy! I really enjoyed the frothy foam head and delicate coffee taste of this one. The milk-to-coffee ratio was done just right.


Cappuccino.

Cinnamon on top. Stir and sip...

No comments:

Post a Comment