Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 10: A bit of Pleasantville in Pasadena

Fair Oaks Pharmacy Soda Fountain, which opened in 1915, is a real old-school soda fountain and pharmacy in Old Town Pasadena that also sells gifts, old-fashioned toys and my friend, Curious George. You can order all manner of malts, floats, shakes and sundaes. Since I was banned to a 24-hour liquid diet following my choking episode (see previous entry), I got the Hand-dipped Banana Milkshake ($4.95). Nothing's better than a shake made with REAL fruit (in this case, real bananas). Even Curious George would approve.

Background, from l-r: banana split, seasoned salt fries, hot fudge brownie with vanilla ice cream.



A generous serving of Neopolitan ice cream accompanied the banana split, down to the cherry on top. Six scoops of ice cream is more than enough for pint-sized customers.



Young people enjoying their sundaes. I wish I had a close-up of the fudge -- it oozed down the vintage cups. Next time, I want to try the Lime Rickey or the Root Beer Float.



Strolling down Old Town Pasadena. The Metro bus stops by periodically to drop off and pick up commuters. Notice how the bus matches the LA Weekly newsstand in front of it.

I scream,
You scream,
We
ALL scream for ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment