Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 11: Imagine

Tenno Sushi is a little Japanese restaurant on South Central Avenue in LA's Little Tokyo that's popular with career people during weekday lunch hour. When I was there, I spotted two female police officers, a Korean couple and middle-aged business men in dark suits. The menu is heavily Korean-influenced. Even the waiters and sushi makers behind the counter were Korean. They all wore traditional Japanese kimonos. No wonder the lunch special dolsot udon ($6.95) was so delicious -- along with the shrimp tempura, the dish included a plentiful array of healthy ingredients, such as oyster, enoki mushrooms, corn, jujube, walnuts, chestnuts, seaweed, seatangle (konbu) and fishcake. Tenno, which means 'Emperor of Japan' in Japanese, certainly made me feel like a queen with all the textures floating around in my mouth.



The Kid ordered teriyaki chicken with furikake on rice, potato salad and orange (not sure what the red thing is -- beets?). While the chicken was only so-so, the ginger salad dressing had a nice tart kick to it.



My aunt is happily slurping down her dolsot udon soup. Tenno also has a full bar and sushi menu. The crab rolls were especially good.



Next to the men's restroom, John Lennon's famous mug adorned the "Employees Only" office. I was reminded of the weight of his lyrics:

Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

I hope one day the state of the world will echo Mr. Lennon's words. Dreams are not just dreams, if you are willing to work towards a reality. And I imagine all the people sharing all the good eats, from Persia to the Philippines, India to Ireland. Let's unite!

No comments:

Post a Comment