Monday, April 6, 2009

Can Red Mango be Green?

Store front.

This new Red Mango opened up near Guitar Center at West 14th Street. I'd had Pinkberry before (several times, to my wallet's chagrin), but since I'd never tried Red Mango before, I entered the glass doors with zero expectations.



Melting Queen.

The pomegranate frozen yogurt was on display, so of course I had to try a sample of that. I liked the tart, slightly sour flavor and promptly went for a small pom with strawberries and mango. I should have passed on the strawberries, as they tasted freshly popped from the freezer (what an oxymoron). However, the mango bits were soft, gooey and gave off a distinct resinous sweet smell. Not hairy, but definitely ripe. My kind of mango.

My frozen yogurt suffered from a meltdown before I even took my first bite. The overheated room also made my head spin. Chloe and I reported a case of extreme lethargy following the froyo. Just. Don't. Do it. Not at this location.

Expenses? My total came to $5.60 or so, tax included. On the pricey side, but so is Pinkberry. My friend tells me Yogurtland in LA can whoop all the other frozen yogurt competitors' butts. Next time I'm in the area, I'll test his claim.



Nutrition ingredients.

Red Mango frozen yogurt is billed as authentic, nonfat and 100% all-natural. It has no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives and is "packed with live and active probiotic cultures" (code word for live bacteria -- the good kind). Plus, it's gluten-free (food allergies-prone, take note) and "certified kosher" (so that all the Jewish froyo lovers can enjoy without worry).


Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. Dug the flavor and texture of my pom but wasn't so keen on the rapid melting before I even got to the bottom of my cup. Red Mango, I know you're trying to save money on A/C, but really -- you can't sell melted goods.


Location:
Red Mango
63 W 14th St
New York, NY 10079
212.414.3009
www.redmangousa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment