Monday, April 6, 2009

Falling in Love with...Eros Cafe


This entry originally took place on April 2.

With national unemployment numbers now at 13.5 million, Chloe and I decided to try our luck at the New York Career Fair hosted at the Metropolitan Pavilion. She got there ten minutes earlier than me, and the line was already wrapped around five blocks. The disgruntled man behind us told me to beat it, so we ended up getting to the back of the line. Three blocks later...

Employers were primarily hiring in the sales field. Exeunt job fair.

Enter Eros Cafe.

You can't see the frisky French bulldog in the picture (sadly, he and his owner had already left when I snapped the shot). But that dog was wagging his tail, squinting his eyes at me and drooling something furious. The poor critter. I wanted to give him a visor. If only I had one.




Eggs, pancakes, waffles, french toast -- breakfast incarnated. It was worth an exploration.




The sun beat down on our black suit-clad selves and was steadily climbing to a tan-worthy 60 degrees. Hence, the glare. I was in the mood for a light breakfast sandwich, so I ordered the first thing that came to mind: Corned beef hash and eggs on a bagel ($3.95). The sumptuous bagel was lovingly drizzled with olive oil for a robust, if somewhat messy, bite. Nothing beats New York bagels.




Chloe ordered the more involved mushroom omelet ($8.95), even though she didn't have much of an appetite (Starbucks Grande caramel macchiato, I shake my fist at you). The omelet was tasty and fresh, as were the delicately seasoned home fries, which reminded me of classic diners' fare. The toast remained untouched.



Hi, Chloe!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. If only the bagel were less messy (I wasn't counting on oil all over my hands)...Still, the corned beef hash rivaled the ones in the Poconos mom & pop joints. And Eros Cafe can sure handle eggs and home fries.


Location:
Eros Cafe
190 7th Ave
New York, NY 10011
212.691.5720

No comments:

Post a Comment