Monday, March 9, 2009

Shake That Sweet Thang


After I tried the famous fruit-filled Foster's Freeze strawberry shake in LA, I had to find out what Wendy's was dishing up. The commercials promised a "hand-spun" milkshake with "real fruit." Now, Foster's Freeze in California prides itself on using real strawberries in their shakes. I even watched as the lady in the back of the kitchen churned up strawberries in the blender. I'm normally not a strawberry ice cream kind of person, but after one slurp of that shake, I was smitten. I downed the whole thing.

Not so with Wendy's.

I watched in horror as the cashier filled the cup one-third of the way with a red, sickeningly sweet-looking substance. Could it be -- NO, not high fructose corn syrup! I just hope there was some sliver of fruit in that sticky substance. Next came the vanilla soft-serve and whipped cream. Alas, no cherry on top.

It was just as I feared. Although I could detect a smidgen of actual strawberry in the milkshake, it was overpowered by the taste of syrupy sugar. My sister, who normally likes sweet things, gave up after a few sips.

"It's too sweet," she said, with a grimace.

Sorry, Wendy's. I'll take one of your Dr. Pepper frosty floats over the strawberry milkshake any day. Other flavors: Chocolate fudge, Vanilla bean.


Rating:
Foster's Freeze: 5 out of 5 stars
Wendy's: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment