Monday, April 13, 2009

Quaker True Delights granola bar


This entry originally took place on April 7.

I love freebies, so when I saw a free promo on TV for the new Quaker True Delights granola bar, I signed up right away. Two weeks later, my package arrived in the mail. The product tag line goes:

"Quaker urges you to indulge wholesomely. And what better way to dive into responsible decadence than with our Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond True Delights? With the surprisingly rich flavor combination of dark chocolate chunks, luscious raspberries (luscious..heh) and whole almonds, you might not be able to stop yourself."

For sure, the Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond flavor tasted good, but it was a little too good to be true. I mean, how could it be so chocolate-y AND nutritious at the same time?

I was right. Scanning the nutrient list, I woefully discovered that while whole grain rolled oats came up as the first ingredient, it was promptly followed by corn syrup, soy lecithin, oligofructose (the heck?), invert sugar, glycerin (um...isn't that found in soap?) and a bunch of other not-so-healthy ingredients.

FYI, outside of the food world, glycerin is used in cosmetics, soaps, inks and certain glues. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I would be wary of ingesting anything that is used on my external parts.

Sorry, True Delights, but you only managed to titillate me for all of 60 seconds (or however long it took to consume that wicked bar). Responsible decadence? Ha - fat chance! Not even a $1 off coupon can entice me to try seconds.


Rating: 2 out of 5 stars. Okay, so this may contain 0 trans fat, but it is assuredly not a truly healthy product. Skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment